09 August 2008

gooood cookies

I found this recipe and tried it out the other day. I usually screw up a recipe a little bit the first time but these turned out amazing! EVERYONE loooved them. They turned out chewy and moist with great texture and flavor. Next time I'll use nuts and maybe replace the choc chips with raisins. I modified the recipe a bit. My modifications are listed in purple.

1 cup 2 sticks butter or margarine, softened (I use crisco)
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar (dark brown and I added 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup granulated sugar (I reduced this to about 1/4 cup)
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional) (never optional, always use it. cookies without salt are so flat tasting)
2 1/2 cups QUAKER OATS (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) semi sweet choc chips

1 cup chopped nuts (optional) (didn't use them but should have)

1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon just for some dimension

Directions:

PREHEAT oven to 375° F. (I baked mine at 365)

BEAT butter and sugars in large bowl until creamy. Add eggs, milk and vanilla extract; beat well. Add combined flour, baking soda and salt; mix well. Stir in oats, morsels and nuts; mix well. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets. BAKE for 9 to 10 minutes for a chewy cookie or 12 to 13 minutes for a crisp cookie. Cool on baking sheets for 1 minute; remove to wire rack to cool completely. Store tightly covered.

5 comments:

Hilary said...

well no wonder you usually screw it up a little the first time...you change it!!! hahahaha! they sound good without the nuts and raisins.

Camille said...

Okay before I try these, you're going to have to defend your reasoning for changing the butter to crisco. Butter is one of my top 3 FAVORITE ingredients. Can crisco really be an improvement?

Ross, Toby and Holden said...

Honestly, Camille, I am not EXACTLY sure why. I LOVE LOVE butter and will try and sneak it into anything but I haven't had success with it in cookies. I think that it is less heavy and greasy than using butter and I find that my cookies are not nearly as flat when I use it. Try it sometime. In fact, for fun you should do one of your cookie recipes with both and see what happens.

Anonymous said...

These do sound pretty yummy! Did they give your house the homey smell you hoped they would?

Becky said...

Ditto Hil's comments! haha JK. Of course, in essence you did create your own new recipe. Cant wait to try it but I will cause I will eat tooooooooo many if I do!!!

The Cookie Monster,
Mom