11 June 2009

three cheers

I have a lot of fun times from the last couple months of which I need to post pics. Meanwhile here are the most very recent updates and some mostly current pics.



This is how Toby looks a lot lately. Terrible twos and illnesses = not good. I exaggerate. He really is a happy mostly cooperative child.


Aidan and Connor just loved Holden. Especially Aidan, though. It was maybe one of the cutest things I have ever seen. He held him A LOT while we were in Reno.


This is how Holden looks a lot lately. He is just a happy little guy. He just is. I love it. It is a wonderful blessing.


This was the evening of the calm before the storm day. Two exhausted boys watching Yo Gabba Gabba. I thought it was funny that Holden was whipped enough to just lie there too.


Toby really likes drinking in a peculiar manner(a habit learned from his father). He has many versions of peculiar and this is one of them. The morning after the hospital experience(read on to learn a bit about the hospital exp.), I put him in the bath to clean up and he INSISTED that he have his oyster crackers while he was bathing. At that point, food is food and water is water so what the heck, right? He proceeded to have bath soup. Oyster crackers floating until delightfully softened to be consumed in a similar fashion of this picture. I love kids!


Hip, hip, hooray! Toby is getting tubes in his ears! July 2nd is Independence day! I am so excited. The ENT that saw Toby was very thorough but very short sweet and to the point. Within 5 minutes of looking things over and talking to me he determined that Toby needed tubes. In his opinion Toby has probably had fluid behind his eardrums most of his life. He called it medical mismanagement or something to that effect. He asked me about Toby's speech and I told him that he has a huge vocabulary but his sounds are mostly all wrong. He told me that should change because he has been hearing through fluid. I will miss those cute pronunciations but I will surely be glad when he can hear a clear difference between not only what we say but what he says also. I thought I was going to need moral support and have my mom fly down to be with me on the day of the procedure since Darin can't, but I am so happy that I am not a wreck and don't need moral support! YAY!

In other news...

We have had major yucky illness at our house. Toby was throwing up accompanied by diarrhea for 3 days. It got really ugly Tuesday when I started in with the same. That same night we ended up taking Toby to the ER. They(ER staff) told us they were glad we brought him when we did so they could stop it(dehydration, vomiting) before it got too bad. They couldn't put a name on the virus he had except for ugly. They sent us home at 2:30 am with an anti-nausea Rx and a feeling slightly better child. Poor Darin got very little sleep and was totally hammered. Not a good week for him. They have had tests, practicals and quizzes every day. He has had the joy of coming to try and study only to help me try to guard the baby from the germs, clean up vomit after vomit (It's hard getting a 2 yr old to hit a bucket), laundry upon laundry (I have used every towel and blanket several times over), and deal with sick, strung out, overwhelmed emotionally and physically exhausted me. I am sure all of the same emotions can be said for him. He woke up this morning not feeling so hot and I am hoping it is just a fluke. Thus far, Holden is ok. I am holding my breath!

It's funny...Sunday we skipped church even though at the time Toby seemed to be feeling better. Thank goodness for instincts. I would have felt horrible subjecting others to those germs. Anyhow, the boys were REALLY good all day and I got A TON of stuff done. The house looked A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. I told my mom that I was trying to be optimistic and believe that it was a great start to a productive week but that I had had experiences like this in the past where it was like a little gift from Heavenly Father - a few hours of happiness and sanity to get everything in order before everything goes to hell in a hand basket. I am pretty certain that she thought that thought was absurd. Yeah, now what do you think Mom!?

7 comments:

Rebecca and Nick said...

yay for tubes! Owen got tubes in his ears when he was 18 months, and he became a nice little boy that rarely got sick, and could sleep through the night. He had chronic fluid behind his ear drums as well, so every time he caught a cold or anything, he'd get ear infections. The hardest part about it was the OR was running late that morning, and I had to entertain a hungry little boy an extra 2 hours. Waking up from being under was a little traumatic for him, but as soon as they gave him some pain meds, he was normal kid again. I hope it goes smoothly for you, and if you need any help or moral support, let me know!

Ash said...

good luck with the tubes. sorry for all the illness...it seems to have hit everyone...near and far. good luck.xoxo

CC said...

i cannot believe how much holdens looks are changing! he is looking a lot more tiner.
glad you are all feeling better for the most part. wish i could have helped you out a little.
i will be having a root canal started when toby is getting his tubes, i wonder who will be a bigger baby??? me!

Lisa said...

Yeah! We can still be friends now! I've looked at the pictures and can only hope that Dan and I can make babies as cute as you guys do!

Becky said...

I just love when babies play with their feet and try to eat them!
Maybe Toby gets sick cause he drinks water out of puddles like a dog?
I'm glad to see your mood is lifted hearing the news about the tubes and if you need me, I will come for moral support. As a mother with at least 12-13 surgeries from the ENT I fully understand your relief from so many antibiotics and kiddies not feeling well.
And ... I didnt think your theory was absurd at all!!! I subscribe to that theory myself. Sorry if I made you feel like I thought it was silly!
Love ya!!!

Anonymous said...

Hooray for surviving one more trying week - you've had more of those than one person needs lately. I'm pretty convinced we are given weeks like that to teach us to truly appreciate how good life is most of the time.
September can't come fast enough - i miss you guys.

WillandTara said...

Ross, this post is giving me painful flashbacks of similar vomit/diarea episodes with children. Now that you mention the tubes, I need to take Ila back. I think she has fluid again. GRRRRRRRRRR Children never end. :) But, they are so worth the work.