29 June 2009

them apples are sour

The last week or so has been such a whirlwind of emotions and exhaustion, good and bad, that I am not even sure where to begin.

Sometimes I feel like I make mole hills into mountains. I wouldn't say that I am a control freak but I like feeling in control of my life. Enter children. It's the same song that has been sung by millions of mothers before me and millions more to come. Being a mother is hard. Not being able to fix the problem is hard. Seeing your children suffer is hard. Suffering because your children are suffering is hard. Your huband suffering because you are suffering because your children are suffering is hard. Enter Dental School. I realized today that this experience is harder than I thought it would be for one main reason. Darin and I are both carrying very heavy loads; equally important and equally overwhelming and exhausting. Sometimes it is hard to bear my burden when I sometimes want to dump it on his already weary shoulders. It's hard knowing that there is nothing I can do to help bear his burden but love him and keep him fed and help him stay on track without sounding naggy. I am learning to find new mother/wife strengths. It's good.

That said Toby is not getting his tubes in this week. Sparing the boring unimportant details, his insurance ends two days before the procedure was scheduled. I was on the phone all day to no avail. Needles to say, I was an emotional wreck. This poor child has had six double ear infections in six months and a flu that sent him to the emergency room for the third time in three months. How sick can one child be? I am grateful that it is nothing more severe but it is our lot and it is hard to swallow. That surgery was going to be our cure all! Will we get his insurance back? Will we have to pay out of pocket? We barely have an income! AGH!? I'll keep you posted.

The terrible two's have hit for Toby. Without fail every single morning he has anywhere from a 10 minute to hour and half fit usually over breakfast. He'll be as happy as a clam in his crib and then I take him downstairs and we must cross some magnetic field that trips him off. I am working on a solution to prevent the fit from starting. I'll keep you posted.

Holden is teething in what seems to be mammoth proportions. Nothing has popped through but he is swollen all the way across the top and bottom and waking up anywhere from 2-5 times a night. I'll keep you posted.

Toby started having a runny nose and sneezing this morning after waking up in the middle of the night crying for me(VERY unusual for him) and has already, TWICE tonight, done the same thing. He has only been in bed for and hour and a half. I am PRAYING that it is two year molars and not allergies or a cold that will induce yet another ear infection. I'll keep you posted.

I could write more but I am exhausted. I'll keep you posted.

***3am update*** I have been up 3 times already. Toby has a cough that sounds like barking. Great. I'll be trying to squeeze him in to a drs office today before his insurance ends for a last ditch can you write me a prescription so I can get it filled before I lose his insurance tomorrow and you can just tell me what to look out for so that I can give it to him when it is necessary visit. Ear infections here we come....SSSSIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGHHHHH

Holden is wide awake. Not typical, but he decided that he is a newborn and pooped so I had to change it and he can't get back to sleep yet. I am SO glad I bought that extra red bull yesterday!

10 comments:

Becky said...

Rossy, I love you.

OoxxOOOOO

CC said...

mom said exactly what i was going to say... oh rossy, i love you.

also, i hope you know you can call me and unload any time. always.

Ross, Toby and Holden said...

thanks. i love you too.

Leslie said...

Oh, Ross! I totally understand! I'm so sorry for all that you're going through right now. Dental school is hard. Motherhood is hard. Motherhood with a spouse who is virtually unavailable to share the load is hard. Lack of funds & insurance is hard. Having sick kids is hard. Lack of sleep is hard.
I will pray for you. I've so been where you are. If I were you, I'd be sure to continue my friendship with good old Celexa!

Shannon said...

HUGS Rossi! I am not far and am more than willing to take the kiddos while you take a much much much needed reprieve. And since I have done it many times before, sickness and tantrums don't phase me much. CALL ME!!!! 302-1553

Hylands teething tablets are Wonderful! Also, it won't be liked BUT that being said, hydrogen peroxide in the ears helps infections. I have had ear issues all my life and I did it all growing up and do it with my kids now too.

Again I say - CALL ME

LOVE YA

Jackson 3 said...

Ohhh....poor thing. Why is it NEVER ending!?!?

anytime you want to come over {cause I don't have a car}, let me babysit for you and you TAKE A NAP. do so. I'm here all day. seriously. if ever you get so tired you feel like you need to scream, come over.
I'm spoiled with my 8 hours sleep nights cause my son sleeps like his dad, a LOG.

Ash said...

well if it helps at all Killi cut 4 molars and 2 front teeth in one week. Kill me now. I love you.

Anonymous said...

Ross I guess most of us mom's have been through this at some time or another in life. My time was a long time ago, which proves we do live through the experience. Remind me to tell you the story of brand new baby, 4 kids under the age of 6, chicken pox and a husband living in Salt Lake. And the coldest winter in Vernal in 10 years! I love you, Aunt Robin

Young Family said...

It is what doesn't kill us that makes us stronger. Who needs sleep anyways. :) Hey we missed you guys when you were in Reno. Definitely call us next time.

Ashley Mae said...

oh my gosh, you poor girl!! When it rains it poors!! You have bad luck!!! jk I wish I could help you! My second child had 3-4 ear infections, and that was hard enough, I can't imagine 6!! WEll, things will get better, you're doing great!!!