10 September 2008

now that's stubborn***with addendum

The funniest thing just happened when I was trying to put Toby down for the night. He has been REALLY stubborn lately but I had no idea that it could stretch this far. He has been fighting us on sleep lately no matter how tired he is. I am the only one that can get him down with only 5 or less minutes of crying. Well, tonight I noticed that as I was singing to him he was pretty much asleep but WOULD NOT lay his head down. I kept trying to rest my head against his or lure him down by his blanket but there was no getting that thing down. It was like he had on a neck brace. It was so sad and cute and sweet. I love that naughty, independant, loving, stubborn boy.

***OOOOOk. After my delight and blogging of getting Toby down in such a cute little silly manner I heard this faint noise. Could it be? No. Gasp. It is. Toby was upstairs SCREAMING. I decided to go in and try and cuddle him again to no avail. For both of us, I had to lay him down and take my exit. After a cool down period and no change in progress for Toby -his voice is so hoarse it's like he went to a punk concert- I decided that forget it, I'll put him in the car and take him to Old Navy with me. They are having a good sale and I need some pants that fit him before we go to Utah tomorrow. The store is probably about 7 miles from us. He made it within .5 a mile of the store and conked out. At least he's asleep? Lesson learned? ????????? Forget fighting him every night and just put him in the car? Isn't he too old for that? PLEASE tell me that this too is just a phase and will pass...

Did I mention that last night he was up from 12:30 to 1:40 doing the same thing. The only way to remedy that one was for me to lie down on the couch with him belly to belly with me? Besides the heat of both of us it felt really great to have him tossing and turning on my belly. ***long long sigh

Seriously I can handle this as long I keep the faith that he will be normal before the baby comes. 4 more months Toby boy, 4 more months. After that he's on his own! haha

8 comments:

WillandTara said...

Ross, Toby's insomnia is in the air...go to my blog and click on Tawny and Ben (that is Heidi's sister) Read her post about their baby and bedtime...he is about Toby's age, be sure to check out my comment about my hour drive with Ila (who Is 4 months older) all over Eagle Mountain trying to get her to A. Stop the crocodile roll by straping her in the carseat and B. Let will study in some peace and quiet. We are going to have an interesting weekend. You may get to know the back hills of Eagle Mountain better than you would like.

Becky said...

If Old Navy was still going to be open after you had battled the beastie boy for a while, maybe he isnt ready for bed that early? Maybe he needed another 1/2 hour to let his everready battery run down? Maybe he needs the cool fiber optic lamp he got so used to having in his room at our house?!

One things for sure, he will outgrow it. So get ready for the new thing! :)

Hilary said...

well we all know my kids have horrible sleeping habits, so maybe i'm the last one to give advice...but i'm with mom on this one. at his age he only needs 10-13 hours of sleep each day including his nap. so maybe you are trying to make him sleep more than he needs? and kids always get a second wind before bedtime for some reason...i have talked to a lot of people about this so i know it's not just my kids that do! so let him stay up a bit longer and get his energy out. love ya!

Ross, Toby and Holden said...

Well, the unfortunate thing is this- he's teething. I know he doesn't need to sleep for 15 hours a day but he doesn't need to go to bed at 9pm and wake up at 5:40 am either. It's more than he's not tired. He was tired and he is teething. He was rubbing his eyes for an hour before I first tried to put him down and acting like a little stinky boy. Pretty much the next kid I am not going to let have any teeth.

Hilary said...

is he ever NOT teething? hahahahaha!!!

WillandTara said...

maybe you waited too long like last night when you put him to bed at 11 and he still cried for 20-25 minutes. Maybe Mom and Hilary can come stay up with him and me and you and Tara can sleep. 2 cheers for night owls!!!

Will

Hilary said...

sounds good to me!

Becky said...

Funny Will!